Wednesday 24 August 2011

Hellraiser

watched Hellraiser, which I haven’t seen for…well, I’m not sure, but at least six or seven years. I could only remember bits and pieces, and I wasn’t expecting it to look quite so 80s, or to be a British film set in America, but it certainly holds up well and was scarier and more shocking than any horror film made in the last few years that I’ve seen, including Saw and Silent Hill. It’s not only gruesome and chilling, but centres on perversion as well, which remains surprisingly subversive. There are some really awful effects (including that stupid wheeled foetus thing, and especially those silly electric effects), the ending is just a cop-out followed by a really dated dénouement and the hair is immense, but it has to be said that the Cenobites are just timeless and brilliant, looking both terrifying and yet extremely cool. Here’s a film ready for a high-budget remake, and according to Wikipedia, it’s in the works for getting one, which I approve of. Just keep the Cenobites intact, eh?

Not as scary as I remember, though. Perhaps next time we should try Candyman.

No comments:

Post a Comment