Thursday 28 August 2014

Flight films #3: Saving Mr Banks


Another I regretted missing in the cinemas, but had another chance to see! And also quite my favourite of the films I saw on the flight. I’m not sure how true the story is – presumably at least the story of her being prickly giving the rights away and making extraordinary demands was based on reality, especially given the real tapes played at the end, but I think much of the backstory was likely embellished. It’s very popular to claim that an author’s best-known work must be entirely based on real, harrowing elements of their life, so I’m sceptical that was genuinely the case.

On the other hand, this is a marvellous story, essentially with three parts – Pamela’s life growing up in Australia with an alcoholic father, which is done sensitively; the story of Walt Disney trying to get an insight into this difficult woman’s hangups; and the story of the creative team, including the Sherman Brothers, trying to understand the writer’s bizarre requests. The implication is that Marry Poppins is really about the attempt to save a self-destructive, alcoholic bank manager father, which I don’t really buy – but which works very well as a film. Peripherally, there is also the rather nice relationship between Pamela and her driver, probably my favourite of the roles that Paul Giamatti has ever done.


This film is both much heavier than I expected and much more artistic. The different eras and locations are expertly evoked through subtle filmmaking techniques and the performances are top-notch. Emma Thompson is perfect for the role and Tom Hanks has the slightly oily charisma of Walt Disney beautifully. I was engaged throughout and there wasn’t a character I didn’t find interesting. Very enjoyable!

No comments:

Post a Comment