Monday 1 January 2018

Lost in Translation (revisited)

(original impressions here)

Lacking any other new films to watch on the plane (dammit, they removed Kung Fu Panda 3 between my flight 9 days ago and this one) I thought it would be fun to rewatch Lost in Translation with a very different perspective. It's a different, funnier film when you recognise exactly where they are in Shinjuku, know what those weird places they go to are, and especially understand what the director and the little auntie in the hospital are saying. Though you may identify with the characters less. 

I also understood Scarlett Johansson a lot more. When I first watched it I was angry at her, angry for not talking honestly with her husband, for not trying harder to fix their relationship. Now I can see much more clearly how it's already broken. Perhaps in the future I'll watch it again and know just what Bill Murray is going through. 

It's still a bit of a slow film that lacks in resolution, but it remains a great observational slice of life, with strong improvisational performances, beautifully shot scenes and a very interesting observation about isolation in the heart of a city. 

Interesting to rewatch after several years, but still not really a favourite. 

No comments:

Post a Comment