Saturday 15 December 2012

The Hobbit part 1: An Unexpected Journey


While both were fixtures of my childhood, I read The Hobbit rather more. Well, Lord of the Rings was a commitment of all your reading time for weeks, even months, whereas The Hobbit could be read in a few days. But it was a lot more inconsequential and I even came to view it as babyish, especially beside its big brother. The Hobbit makes Tolkien and C.S. Lewis in their little club sharing ideas make much more sense. It is in every way more child-appropriate, simplistic and indeed, superficial. I never really felt Bilbo was in any danger, unlike the members of the Fellowship. The dwarfs were silly griping fellows and for all their roots in Norse mythology, they had silly names and their quest seemed rather abstract and fuelled by gold. The trading of riddles, so iconic now, always struck me as a very unlikely scenario and I resented Bilbo for cheating, even if he did so inadvertently. The ring, meanwhile, even though Tolkien actually rewrote the passages featuring it once he knew how important it was going to be, seemed so trivial, as Bilbo slips it on and off as he pleases – though of course it takes time.

Well, I haven’t read the Hobbit since I was a preteen, but still remember much of it, largely because of family discussions. So I know just how much was added to this film, how much padding and embellishment there was – but that’s quite understandable in an effort to make a rather small quest story epic, and expand it to no less than three full films, which I can’t say I think entirely necessary when they could be getting on with The Silmarillion. The padding hasn’t just stretched the content to three films, though – it’s stretched this film to a full three hours, which is really too long. The first act in particular, when a mass of characters we can barely distinguish from one another are introduced, is long-winded and I am very sure that the main criticism The Hobbit will suffer is that it was dull. I had a very good time of it, recognising hints and references, but I was also aware that had I known nothing of mythology, deviations from the text or what was to come, I may have been bored.

However, bored I was not. A little surprised by sudden changes of scene once or twice, but very soon delighting in the new chapter. More or less all of the additions I loved, especially giving Radagast not only a role but a great and endearing eccentricity, with a very obvious visual clue to how little he cares for the impression he gives others. I was puzzling over who the actor was for a good few minutes, having forgotten the prior announcements but knowing he was terribly familiar, but when I realised it was the Doctor I remember seeing on Saturday evenings, I couldn’t have been more pleased. I hope this leads to Sylvester McCoy having a career renaissance, and his interactions with Gandalf were priceless. Though now I will no longer get to be quite so snobby about actually knowing who Radagast is – until now it was a bit of a bit of geeky esoteria.

The film squeezes in a prologue of sorts with Frodo and the older Ian Holm directly before the opening of Lord of the Rings, which is a lovely nod to the films these quite clearly build from. We are then shown the younger Bilbo, and Martin Freeman does an absolutely excellent job in his usual slightly baffled Englishman role. I may not care much for Sherlock or The Office, but he’s certainly one of the best things in either, and provides a nice Hitchhiker’s Guide link with yesterday’s film, Seven Psychopaths. As Bilbo tumbles into the quest, he gains confidence, and it will be great to see him grow further in the next installations. As well as the familiar encounter with the mountain trolls, the stop at Rivendell, the encounter with the goblins and Bilbo meeting Gollum and finding his ring, the film gives itself more of a structure by introducing a baddy only mentioned in the book as part of the story of Thorin getting his full name Oakenshield. This allows for some pretty heavy action scenes, and gives the film the artificial climax it needs. We also get Radagast encountering Sauron in an early form, and having a rather confusing episode with what will become a Nazgul, here apparently a summoned spirit and not a man who can only be killed by a woman. There are also added appearances from Saruman and Galadriel as well as Elrond, which is great – seeing those familiar faces and getting Christopher Lee another screen credit is never a bad thing. Also present is Stephen Fry – his voice, at least – unexpectedly as a goblin king with a huge wobbling chin I’m sure insecure Stephen will quietly fret over. The eloquence of this hideous creature and his sublimely awful singing make for an excellent casting choice, turning what could have been a highly forgettable character into a very memorable one.

The dwarves are more memorable than they might have been, too. Though some are little more than ‘the fat one’ or ‘the daft one with a slingshot’, others get distinguished well, though of course it’s Thorin that does the most growing – and comes over as far more formidable than in the book. James Nesbitt’s one scene shows his great talent at seeming like a lovely guy in just a few words, and the guy from Desperate Romantics as the one bizarre good-looking and non-squat dwarf gets to stand out as a character as well as a face with his naivety and careless tongue.

It was long and in summary, doesn’t feel that action packed, but it was in fact very enjoyable and I’m looking forward to seeing Beorn, hearing Smaug and cringing at the spiders in glorious 3D – and yes, the 3D was exemplary here.

I may well go and see The Hobbit again, too. After all, I saw it in 24fps, which I had no complaints about, and was happy I saw first, but I am curious about the controversial 48fps. I remember when making a film for my master’s course, we were far happier with the lower framerate, the higher looking too amateurish, but I do want to know if it looks different large-scale. Perhaps I will see. I can’t see it being a more dramatic transition than that from film to digital, and we barely noticed that.

I’m also glad Jackson returned. I adore Del Toro, but…this just wasn’t the project for him.   

No comments:

Post a Comment