Thursday 6 October 2011

My Summer of Love

I’m just back from ‘My Summer of Love’, and despite all expectations, I really enjoyed it – in fact, it was one of the better films I’ve seen in months. At the beginning, I had my doubts about the pacing, I had my doubts about the casting, I had my doubts about how exaggerated the characters seemed, but by the end, they were all virtues, not flaws!

The film was a typical pairing, the earnest common one and the imperious, perhaps manipulative posh one, but the broad characterisations were so sweet, and portrayed with so much enthusiasm and belief that it was just wonderful. Predictable, maybe, but that only added to the charm: it was the joy of waiting to see the situations unfold rather than the surprise at new twists that was entertaining, and the characters were wonderfully realised.

I expected little, but was very happily surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment